Whitnall club gets a bigger lift at nationals
Team takes title; Marshall, Xiong take individual titles
Greenfield — Since its inception four years ago, the Whitnall powerlifting team has been on a steady climb - and last weekend, it reached the peak of the mountain.
Whitnall captured the championship of the 2011 National High School Tournament in Corpus Christi, Texas, scoring 85 points to beat Glenn Mills of Pennsylvania, which totaled 65 points. Glenn Mills had won the previous 14 championships and had been the only team to finish ahead of Whitnall in 2010.
Wisconsin rival Neenah, which was second to Whitnall at the state tourney, finished third in the national event with 49 points.
Topping of a strong year
"It was our year," head coach R.G. Luckow said. "We knew we had a very good team, and in the national meet, our seniors realized it was the last meet of their careers and did the best they could."
Whitnall's Keng Xiong and Nathan Marshall claimed individual national crowns, with Xiong winning the 114-pound weight class at 909.4 points and Marshall taking the 242-pound group with 1,649.1 points. Marshall became a four-time individual champion and set a national record in the squat with 706.6 pounds.
Other high placers
Coming in second were Ryan Lepkowski (148), Alex Dellis (165) and Alex Hardy (220). Jacob Hardy was third at 242 and fourths were taken by Danny Voelkel (114), Zach Harenda (123) and Nate Stemo (132).
Taking sixth were Danny Wahl (181) and Justin Nawrocik (220) and Robert Hansen snared eighth at 165.
For the girls, Linnzy Gely was 15th at 148 pounds, scoring nine points.
"We are absolutely thrilled with the program," Luckow said. "The kids are extremely excited, but more than anything, they are proud."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local woman reaches the heights in state skeetshooting tournament
- Whitnall breaks through for first football victory of 2014 season
- Greenfield falls just short of upsetting Brown Deer in football game
- Whitnall girls volleyball team hands Greendale first Woodland defeat
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Football: South Milwaukee football dominant over Greenfield
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Whitnall football team handed yet another tough defeat by Rockets
- Ezekial Banks' long run boosts Greenfield football team past Messwood
- Football: Banks delivers big run as Greenfield rallies