Whitnall club gets a bigger lift at nationals
Team takes title; Marshall, Xiong take individual titles
Greenfield — Since its inception four years ago, the Whitnall powerlifting team has been on a steady climb - and last weekend, it reached the peak of the mountain.
Whitnall captured the championship of the 2011 National High School Tournament in Corpus Christi, Texas, scoring 85 points to beat Glenn Mills of Pennsylvania, which totaled 65 points. Glenn Mills had won the previous 14 championships and had been the only team to finish ahead of Whitnall in 2010.
Wisconsin rival Neenah, which was second to Whitnall at the state tourney, finished third in the national event with 49 points.
Topping of a strong year
"It was our year," head coach R.G. Luckow said. "We knew we had a very good team, and in the national meet, our seniors realized it was the last meet of their careers and did the best they could."
Whitnall's Keng Xiong and Nathan Marshall claimed individual national crowns, with Xiong winning the 114-pound weight class at 909.4 points and Marshall taking the 242-pound group with 1,649.1 points. Marshall became a four-time individual champion and set a national record in the squat with 706.6 pounds.
Other high placers
Coming in second were Ryan Lepkowski (148), Alex Dellis (165) and Alex Hardy (220). Jacob Hardy was third at 242 and fourths were taken by Danny Voelkel (114), Zach Harenda (123) and Nate Stemo (132).
Taking sixth were Danny Wahl (181) and Justin Nawrocik (220) and Robert Hansen snared eighth at 165.
For the girls, Linnzy Gely was 15th at 148 pounds, scoring nine points.
"We are absolutely thrilled with the program," Luckow said. "The kids are extremely excited, but more than anything, they are proud."
- Greenfield boys relay team prevails in Pewaukee Invite
- Whitnall softball team wins in different ways, remains unbeaten at 13-0
- Improving Greenfield boys golf team claims fourth place in large Franklin Invitational
- Whitnall boys track and field team win own invite title
- Jack Miller resigns as Greenfield High School boys basketball coach (1)
- Whitnall girls claim team championship in own track invite
- Strong pitching helps keep Whitnall softball team unbeaten for young season
- Greenfield softball team posts five straight shutouts before loss to Westosha Central
- Whitnall's Bauer outduels Greenfield's Matthias in 1-0 softball victory
- Greenfield girls soccer team bounces back from two losses with shutout of West Allis Central