Greenfield — The popular Whitnall Back to School Block Party will be back for a fifth year, and organizers are looking for volunteers and sponsors to help make this year's annual effort the best yet.
The block party will be held from noon to 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 13, on 116th Street between Whitnall's high and middle schools. The block party's outdoor, festival-like atmosphere, including musical entertainment, food and games, attracts thousands of students, parents, alumni and community members.
Though not intended to make money, any surplus funds from the event are donated to Whitnall's fine arts programs. Over the last three years, nearly $15,000 has been used to buy keyboards and music stands for elementary musicians, cello racks for the orchestra, technology for the art department and other fine arts purchases.
In addition, excess funds allowed the district to bring back an art gallery evening, highlighting student work.
The Block Party, which began as a 50th anniversary celebration for the district in 2010, is free.
Block Party organizers need event sponsors and volunteers. Various levels of sponsorships are available, from main event sponsors to the donation of raffle prizes. Sponsorship packages come with various levels of public recognition.
Volunteers are needed to help set up and break down the party, sell raffle tickets, manage games and work at other stations.
For more information about volunteering or becoming an event sponsor, email Mike Seavert at firstname.lastname@example.org or Cheryl Baker at email@example.com.
- Light poles, electric wires down after traffic accident in Greenfield
- Dan Jansen Family Festival to bring old favs, new fun to Greenfield
- Greenfield man facing possible charges after threatening women with loaded gun
- High speed pursuit in Greenfield ends in crash in Milwaukee
- Greenfield Police Blotter: May 25, 2016
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Greenfield church to host prom for special needs students; Oconomowoc bank make large donation
- Sign-maker wants Highway 100 on-ramp reopened
- Greenfield Police Blotter: May 19, 2016
- $26 million upgrade for Greenfield schools ready to go forward (1)