Spurning a request by a New Berlin developer, the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District will not cede 4.5 acres to the New Berlin School District.
The developer had made the request so that the entire development under construction could be in one school district. But the WA-WM School Board decided the area in question is closer to an elementary school in West Allis than in New Berlin.
The fact that the West Allis district is landlocked so it needs to protect all its taxable property was another consideration in the board vote on Monday.
The 4.5 acres had been vacant until recently, when construction started on four apartment buildings. One is in the New Berlin School District and the other three are in West Allis-West Milwaukee. Those four buildings are in addition to 14 buildings, all in New Berlin's district, that are already built in the same Stonegate Apartment complex.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Help-plan for Kulwicki Park going back to county with ICC endorsement
- Greenfield panel gives Good Will a cold shoulder (1)
- Animal blood bank in Greenfield needs more dog and cat donors to keep all pets healthy
- Greenfield vet clinic calls for blood donations from dogs
- Whitnall ponders: What's next? Moving on in the face of failed referendum
- Gadgets don't stay broken at this shop
- Whitnall School Board to form facilities task force
- Whitnall school referendums voted down (5)