Gas drive-offs will be a thing of the past in West Allis after the Common Council on Tuesday voted to make all drivers prepay at the pump.
The West Allis Police Department requested the restriction because patrol officers have to respond to so many gas thefts.
Gas stations that fail or refuse to convert pumps for the prepay approach will risk loss of their business licenses, under the new ordinance. Short of that, police will no longer investigate gas thefts where prepayment is not required.
Prepayment can be in the form of a credit or debit card, cash, check or any other legal means of payment.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield Police blotter: Feb. 11
- Greenfield city, schools on verge of shared fiber optics for Internet
- Greenfield schools to get safety improvements thanks to $150,000 grant
- Greenfield parents may get cost break on child care at schools
- Former Chapman School in Greenfield now fully demolished
- Video: Bucks' Rim Rockers rock Whitnall HS
- Greenfield park on list of parks not protected from unilateral sale
- Greenfield police take innovative approach to curbing heroin addiction (2)
- Greenfield resident robbed on his doorstep
- Greenfield police blotter: Jan. 28, 2016 (1)