Gas drive-offs will be a thing of the past in West Allis after the Common Council on Tuesday voted to make all drivers prepay at the pump.
The West Allis Police Department requested the restriction because patrol officers have to respond to so many gas thefts.
Gas stations that fail or refuse to convert pumps for the prepay approach will risk loss of their business licenses, under the new ordinance. Short of that, police will no longer investigate gas thefts where prepayment is not required.
Prepayment can be in the form of a credit or debit card, cash, check or any other legal means of payment.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- High school sharing program helps families
- Beautification committee names Greenfield winners
- Greenfield police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- Whitnall School Board closer to facilities referendum decision
- Greenfield St. Vincent de Paul store opening soon, accepting donations
- Proposed Meijer's aesthetics, driveway concern Greenfield commission
- Resident input wanted for two Greenfield road projects
- Whitnall survey shows support for new school, other projects
- Greenfield police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- Greenfield Christmas lights contest in full swing