The proposed cross town connector bike trail that would make it possible to bike all the way from Milwaukee's lakefront to Waukesha rolled a long way toward approval last night at the West Allis Common Council meeting.On a split vote, the council approved signing a lease agreement with We Energies for use of its right-of-way for the east-west bike trail.
Casting one of two "no" votes was Alderman Vincent Vitale, who said the city has not nailed down where it would get the $437,000 needed for the city's share of building the trail.
He said it is irresponsible to go ahead before funding is decided on, even though aldermen have a general idea of where the money might come from. Times are tough and those funds might be better spent elsewhere, he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News and Notes
- Greenfield and West Allis plan Memorials for the Day
- Jansen Fest fills another holiday weekend in Greenfield
- Police Report: May 21
- Cheap I-94 route expensive for West Allis, officials say
- Groundbreaking set for Greenfield Farmers Market
- New Greenfield Farmers Market seeks helping hands
- News & Notes: May 14
- Greenfield Library may be more forgiving when items return damaged
- Police Report: May 14