Greenfield - The April 3 spring election will bring guaranteed changes to both school boards in Greenfield, with at least three incumbents to be replaced by newcomers.
In general, based on the filing period which closed Tuesday, there is lots of candidate interest in both Whitnall and Greenfield's boards of education.
There will be a primary election Feb. 21 for the Greenfield board. Only Rick Moze, 8901 W. Whitaker Ave., will run for re-election. Board members Julie Rome and Audrey Ellison decided to step down after their terms expire in April.
In addition to Moze, six others will seek three available seats, including former School Board members Cathy Walsh, 7117 W. Allerton Ave., and Michael Gierl, 5933 S. 35th St., and two candidates who ran for School Board last April - retired Greenfield fire chief Russell Spahn, 5340 W. Whitaker Ave., and Paul Palama, 4201 S. 64th St. Also running will be Len Cich, 4366 S. Honey Creek Drive, and Brad Sponholz, 4407 W. Ohio Ave.
On the Whitnall School Board, Bill Osterndorf has decided not to run for re-election. The four candidates running for the two spots on the board will be incumbent Michael Clarizio, 4559 S. 119th St., Greenfield; and challengers Quinten Brunette, 12255 W. Black Oak Drive, Greenfield, who ran unsuccessfully for School Board last April; Jon Jones, 6433 S. 122nd St., Franklin; and Eileen Valaitis, 9160 Wildflower Court, Hales Corners.
On the cityside, all three aldermen are opposed. They are Karl Kastner, 3820 S. River Ridge Blvd., District 3; Pam Akers, 4920 W. Layton Ave., District 4; and Shirley Saryan, 3714 W. Vogel Ave., District 5.
- Man, 21, charged in fatal accident on 76th Street in Greenfield
- Video: Greenfield going full speed to become its own internet provider
- Road construction to loom large in Greenfield's Fourth of July bash
- Early morning fire destroys garage in Greenfield, spreads to house
- A new Layton Avenue Baptist Church is rising in Greenfield through skill and faith
- Greenfield Police reports: June 16, 2016
- Fire damages garage of Greenfield home
- Charcoal grill tips over, causes fire at Greenfield home (1)
- Thieves hit Greenfield liquor store twice in a week, injure clerk
- Greenfield Police report: June 9, 2016