Faulty dehumidifier blamed for house fire
An investigation of an Oct. 5 house fire has traced the cause of the blaze to a recalled dehumidifier in the basement of the home.
Police and fire officials responded to the fire in the 4400 block of South 31st Street at 4:30 p.m. Oct. 5. When police arrived at the residence they witnessed black smoke coming through the screen door and the chimney. After the building was cleared by the fire department, police investigated the basement area where the fire apparently started. The fire was traced back to a circuit breaker for a GE dehumidifier that was recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in January 2011 due to a possible fire hazard.
The homeowner was given the recall notice and various contact numbers. The fire caused about $10,000 worth of damage to the residence.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 5, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police notes: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- Greenfield police report: September 11, 2014
- Police seeking suspect in armed robbery at gas station
- Motorist allegedly points handgun at female driver in Greenfield
- Police Notes: Dec. 10
- Suspicious actions results in prowler alert in Greenfield
- Police Notes: Nov. 12
- Police Notes: Oct. 1
- Police Notes: Sept. 17
- Police Notes: Sept. 10
- Texting driver cited after 'flipping the bird' to police officers in unmarked car
- Police Notes: July 23
- Police Notes: July 16
- Police Notes: July 9
- Police Notes: June 5
- Police Notes: May 7
- Police Notes: April 9