The recurring issue of later secondary school start times may soon recur in Greenfield after the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a policy statement Monday urging high and middle schools to start at 8:30 a.m. or later.
Both the Greenfield middle and high schools start at 7:30 a.m.
The academy's statement based on the latest research was presented to the Greenfield School Board on Monday by Dolores Skowronek, who spearheaded the Greenfield schools examination of all start times and who was chairwoman of the former Greenfield Ad Hoc School Start Time Advisory Committee.
The academy's policy statement says that evidence strongly suggests that start times earlier than 8:30 a.m. lead to insufficient sleep for students and disrupts their sleep rhythms. The academy strongly urges high schools and middle schools to aim for start times that allow students the opportunity to have optimal levels of sleep of 8.5 to 9.5 hours per night.
It warns that adolescent sleep deprivation can lead to greater risk of obesity, of type 2 diabetes because of metabolic dysfunctions, increased risk of car crashes, less physical activity, increased risk of anxiety, depression and suicide, poor impulse control and self-regulation, decreased motivation, lower ability to pay attention, cognitive deficits affecting memory and abstract thinking resulting in lower academic achievement and higher dropout rates and mood disorders.
The American Academy of Pediatrics consists of more than 60,000 pediatricians, Skowronek said.
"When the medical community tells us there's something wrong in our district, you should pay attention," she told the School Board. "You have a responsibility to take this very seriously."
School Board President Cathy Walsh agreed, saying she hopes the issue will be taken up at a committee of the whole meeting. The next one will be in October.
- The Ridge Church in Greenfield offers church in your jammies
- Greenfield Police blotter: May 5, 2016
- Whitnall gets new school district superintendent
- Crash kills Milwaukee man in Greenfield
- Greenfield Police Blotter: April 28, 2016
- Parties in the sky coming to House of Harley in Greenfield
- Whitnall names Lisa Olson superintendent of schools
- Severe weather seminar scheduled in Greenfield
- Greenfield Police Blotter: April 21, 2016
- Greenfield News and Notes: April 21