Greenfield — A dozen trees that stood in the way of the Bottsford Avenue road project in Greenfield were moved back 20 feet and saved last weekend.
"I love my job when this kind of thing happens," said Greenfield forester Dennis Fermenich.
Now the maple trees stand in a line along the inside edge of the Maple Grove Elementary School playground, giving shade on those hot days at the start and end of the school year.
"When it's hot, they'll have someplace to get relief," Fermenich said. "And it looks gorgeous."
Dan Ewert, public works director, also was pleased. The trees were about as big as they could be for successful transplant, he said. A couple were iffy, he said. But Greenfield has been honored as a Tree City USA, and every effort is made to save trees, Ewert said.
"We will do everything we can; if they're a size that can be transplanted, we'll transplant them," he said. And after all, these are maple trees at Maple Grove School, he added.
"That's why they were planted there one Arbor Day," Ewert said.
That was about nine years ago, and the trees have grown to 18 feet tall with the beginnings of a crown, Fermenich said. A tree service was contracted to do the work because special equipment was needed.
Fermenich estimated the cost at roughly $4,300.
But cutting them down and planting new trees would run $600 per tree or about $7,200, according to the rule of thumb he uses. And that doesn't even count the years of growth that are lost, he added.
- Man steals vehicle from business, returns to apply for job
- Light poles, electric wires down after traffic accident in Greenfield
- Dan Jansen Family Festival to bring old favs, new fun to Greenfield
- Greenfield man facing possible charges after threatening women with loaded gun
- High speed pursuit in Greenfield ends in crash in Milwaukee
- Greenfield Police Blotter: May 25, 2016
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Greenfield church to host prom for special needs students; Oconomowoc bank make large donation
- Sign-maker wants Highway 100 on-ramp reopened
- Greenfield Police Blotter: May 19, 2016