Greenfield — The grand finale to the Greenfield Fourth of July fireworks display was interrupted this year because the outer packaging of the finale boxes started to burn when the finale began.
The finale fireworks were strung together and stopped launching, said Greenfield Fire Chief Jon Cohn. Firefighters extinguished the fire and several other spot fires, he said.
The fireworks team considered loading the unexploded fireworks onto a truck for disposal until an off-site technical expert advised them to go ahead with the rest of the finale because the packaging had been compromised, Cohn said.
So after a delay, the show went on, even though some of the crowd had left, confused at the relatively lackluster finale compared to the usual spectacular endings of the shows.
Upon further investigation, another box was found to be unexploded. Cohn said. It was lighted and launched. Firefighters again extinguished and overhauled some of the boxes.
In a separate incident, a firework exploded in a mortar tube, severely deforming it, Cohn said.
"This is similar to what happened last year in a neighboring community that resulted in an injury to a fireworks crew member and the postponement of the show," Cohn said. "However, due to some additional safety precautions taken at the Greenfield site the malfunction resulted in no injuries and spectators likely not even noticing."
While there were some negative comments on social media, safety is the Fire Department's highest priority, Cohn said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: April 23, 2015 issue
- Help-plan for Kulwicki Park going back to county with ICC endorsement
- Greenfield panel gives Good Will a cold shoulder (1)
- Animal blood bank in Greenfield needs more dog and cat donors to keep all pets healthy
- Greenfield vet clinic calls for blood donations from dogs
- Whitnall ponders: What's next? Moving on in the face of failed referendum
- Gadgets don't stay broken at this shop
- Whitnall School Board to form facilities task force
- Whitnall school referendums voted down (5)