For locating a handgun that was used in a shooting, Greenfield's police dog and his handler have received a state award.
Police Officer Scott Zienkiewicz and his canine partner Badger were awarded the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Canine Handlers Association 2011 award for Meritorious Article Find.
In the shooting incident that happened in May in Milwaukee, a suspect fled into Greenfield on foot and was later captured at Clement Manor. Zienkiewicz and Badger were asked to search the area for the gun used in the shooting.
The team began where the suspect had discarded a sweatshirt while running. While tracking the suspect's path, Badger located the crucial piece of evidence.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- $1.6 million in new taxes could come to Greenfield city and schools
- Greenfield Police blotter
- Major Layton Avenue development in Greenfield rolls forward (1)
- The project SHOW has chosen to sample Greenfield as part of its statewide survey that has been going
- Whitnall School Board chooses facilities advisory committee
- Construction starts for church, community center in Greenfield
- Police release ID of man killed in gunfire
- Greenfield officer involved in shooting
- Greenfield puts restaurant, grocery health inspections online
- New Whitnall Middle School principal is familiar face