A 22-year-old Greenfield man died Friday night after he swam in the family pool while under the influence of alcohol, officials said Monday.
Jeffrey J. Wielichowiski was partying with friends and swimming in the family pool in the 5600 block of S. 44th St. around 10:30 p.m. Friday, according to an investigation report by the Milwaukee County medical examiner's office.
He had been drinking vodka, Red Bull and Gatorade, and his friends told police he appeared intoxicated.
"He got into the pool and was swimming. They advised him to stay out of the pool because he was slurring his speech and stumbling. He refused," the report said.
According to the report:
His friends kept checking on him frequently. When a minute passed and they did not hear him splashing, Wielichowiski's friend went to check on him and found him face down at the bottom of the pool.
Two friends removed Wielichowiski from the pool. They told police he was vomiting when they removed him. They placed him on the pool deck and started CPR.
Wielichowiski's parents came out to help. Paramedics from the Greenfield Fire Department attempted to resuscitate him by defibrillating him three times and suctioning him. Wielichowiski was pronounced dead at 11:26 p.m.
Wielichowiski graduated from Greenfield High School in 2006 and from Viterbo University in May.
"He was a free spirit who had a passion for music, photography and the arts. Jeff embraced diversity and valued the best in everyone," the family said about him in an obituary. "Jeff was a tissue donor, which has brought comfort to his family in knowing that some good may come from his death."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Former Chapman School in Greenfield now fully demolished
- Positive and uplifting stories in suburban Milwaukee and Lake Country in January
- Greendale School District announces names of candidates for superintendent position
- Video: Bucks' Rim Rockers rock Whitnall HS
- Greenfield park on list of parks not protected from unilateral sale
- Greenfield police take innovative approach to curbing heroin addiction (2)
- Greenfield resident robbed on his doorstep
- Greenfield police blotter: Jan. 28, 2016 (1)
- St. John the Evangelist School to host two open house events
- West Allis to hold public hearing for proposed Chick-fil-A restaurant on Highway 100