A 22-year-old Greenfield man died Friday night after he swam in the family pool while under the influence of alcohol, officials said Monday.
Jeffrey J. Wielichowiski was partying with friends and swimming in the family pool in the 5600 block of S. 44th St. around 10:30 p.m. Friday, according to an investigation report by the Milwaukee County medical examiner's office.
He had been drinking vodka, Red Bull and Gatorade, and his friends told police he appeared intoxicated.
"He got into the pool and was swimming. They advised him to stay out of the pool because he was slurring his speech and stumbling. He refused," the report said.
According to the report:
His friends kept checking on him frequently. When a minute passed and they did not hear him splashing, Wielichowiski's friend went to check on him and found him face down at the bottom of the pool.
Two friends removed Wielichowiski from the pool. They told police he was vomiting when they removed him. They placed him on the pool deck and started CPR.
Wielichowiski's parents came out to help. Paramedics from the Greenfield Fire Department attempted to resuscitate him by defibrillating him three times and suctioning him. Wielichowiski was pronounced dead at 11:26 p.m.
Wielichowiski graduated from Greenfield High School in 2006 and from Viterbo University in May.
"He was a free spirit who had a passion for music, photography and the arts. Jeff embraced diversity and valued the best in everyone," the family said about him in an obituary. "Jeff was a tissue donor, which has brought comfort to his family in knowing that some good may come from his death."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New investment pleases Greenfield officials; remodeled auto and mattress shops approved by city
- Whitnall hosts another block party
- Greenfield School Board approves $23 million tax levy
- Video: Greenfield, Greendale and Hales Corners police storm high schools in active shooter training
- Later secondary school start times explored in Greenfield; national group recommends 8:30 a.m. or la
- Whitnall High reaches ACT goal
- Greenfield schools take steps to improved education with teachers coaching teachers
- Greenfield mayor accepts ALS ice bucket challenge
- Video: Whitnall launches districtwide iPad initiative
- Meijer gets early nod of approval in Greenfield