A drug and alcohol abuse counselor who defrauded a government program and illegally possessed prescription painkillers has been sentenced to three years of probation.
Dennis K. Shirk, 63, of Franklin had pleaded guilty to three felonies - theft, fraudulent writings and the drug charge; 15 other felonies were dismissed.
Shirk was head of the Greenfield office of Parkview Counseling Associates when the charges were filed in November.
Shirk defrauded the nonprofit Impact program, which is funded by Milwaukee County, by submitting claims for payment for counseling sessions that never occurred, according to a criminal complaint. He would have patients sign post-dated forms and then submit the forms for payment, even though the clients did not participate in counseling on those days.
Shirk also illegally possessed the painkillers Percodan, Percocet and OxyContin, according to the charges filed against him.
As part of the sentence given by Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Dennis Cimpl, Shirk also was ordered to pay $4,822 in restitution to the county.
To read the Journal Sentinel's Watchdog reports on prescription drug abuse, go to www.JSOnline.com/prescription.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- W.A and Greenfield offer summer fun times
- Whitnall School District facilities panel to be 7 to 13 members
- Antiques mall could open in former Greenfield News & Hobby location (1)
- Glendale tennis courts to be transformed into futsal courts
- Pepper spray used at Greenfield grocery store (2)
- Town of Brookfield touts commercial development at annual meeting
- Greenfield Plan Commission cool to apartments amid homes, two-families
- West Allis police report: April 30, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: April 30, 2015 issue
- Greenfield Common Council hears concerns at Chapman proposal hearing