A drug and alcohol abuse counselor who defrauded a government program and illegally possessed prescription painkillers has been sentenced to three years of probation.
Dennis K. Shirk, 63, of Franklin had pleaded guilty to three felonies - theft, fraudulent writings and the drug charge; 15 other felonies were dismissed.
Shirk was head of the Greenfield office of Parkview Counseling Associates when the charges were filed in November.
Shirk defrauded the nonprofit Impact program, which is funded by Milwaukee County, by submitting claims for payment for counseling sessions that never occurred, according to a criminal complaint. He would have patients sign post-dated forms and then submit the forms for payment, even though the clients did not participate in counseling on those days.
Shirk also illegally possessed the painkillers Percodan, Percocet and OxyContin, according to the charges filed against him.
As part of the sentence given by Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Dennis Cimpl, Shirk also was ordered to pay $4,822 in restitution to the county.
To read the Journal Sentinel's Watchdog reports on prescription drug abuse, go to www.JSOnline.com/prescription.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield man charged with sexual assault of a child in Tosa
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 19, 2015 issue
- Greenfield's Naked Furniture to close April 30
- Amphitheater offered for Konkel Park in Greenfield
- Greenfield Plan Commission clears Chapman project, Meijer for hearings
- Greenfield Plan Commission mixed on idea of Goodwill opening on S. 76th St.
- Stories concerning time to tick at Inspiration Studios
- Greenfield School district to offer tax credits to seniors who work for district
- Sessions offered to public on Whitnall School District referendum questions