Greenfield — While property owners will see lower tax rates on their tax bills, levies are up at the city level and at the three school districts within Greenfield.
The city mailed out tax bills Dec. 11. On the bills, residents will find six taxing jurisdictions - the city of Greenfield; the Greenfield, Whitnall or West Allis-West Milwaukee School District; Milwaukee County; the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District; Milwaukee Area Technical College; and the state.
Residents will pay different amounts depending on the school district in which they reside.
Whitnall residents will pay $22.91 per $1,000 of assessed property value, a decrease from $27.53 a year ago, while Greenfield School District residents will pay $23.86, down from $28.17.
A small number of residents reside in the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District. They will pay $21.58 per $1,000 of assessed property value, down from $27.09.
The decline in tax rates doesn't mean that actual tax bills are dropping, however, as the rate decrease comes after a citywide revaluation. The assessed value of Greenfield went up more than 25 percent, from $2.4 billion to $3.2 billion, city Finance Director Milt Vandermeuse said.
The school districts' property tax levies went up 5.9 percent at West Allis-West Milwaukee, 5.5 percent at Whitnall and 11.2 percent in Greenfield. The city property tax levy rose 3.7 percent.
Property owners can look up their tax bills on the city's Web site at www.ci.greenfield.wi.us.
Full payment or the first of three installments is due Jan. 31. Payments can be mailed to City of Greenfield, P.O. Box 20739, Greenfield, WI, 53220-0739, or dropped off at a deposit box at the south entrance of City Hall, 7325 W. Forest Home Ave.
Through Dec. 31, two banks will collect property tax payments: Tri-City National Bank, 4200 S. 76th St., and M&I Bank, 7600 W. Layton Ave.
For more payment information, visit the city's Web site.
- Mark Schaaf
Comparing property taxes
2009 tax rate
(per $1,000 ofassessed value)
2008 tax rate
(per $1,000 ofassessed value)
|Greenfield School District||$10.90||$12.34||-11.7%|
|Whitnall School District||$9.95||$11.70||-15.0%|
|WA-WM School District||$8.62||$11.26||-23.4%|
|City of Greenfield||$6.91||$8.35||-17.2%|
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield mayor vetoes overflow lot for mosque
- Ask Now: Why is toilet paper used in the repair of city streets?
- City considers parking bans
- Whitnall will survey residents to help in some costly school project choices
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- Greenfield children have new spot to play
- Whitnall School District continues to 'exceed expectations'
- Police called when man urinates himself while sleeping in movie theater
- Al-Huda mosque's parking lot in Greenfield under scrutiny; neighbors do not want it to expand
- Al-Huda mosque’s gravel parking lot in Greenfield can remain in use for now: Al-Huda mosque's gravel parking lot can remain in use for now