Greenfield — While property owners will see lower tax rates on their tax bills, levies are up at the city level and at the three school districts within Greenfield.
The city mailed out tax bills Dec. 11. On the bills, residents will find six taxing jurisdictions - the city of Greenfield; the Greenfield, Whitnall or West Allis-West Milwaukee School District; Milwaukee County; the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District; Milwaukee Area Technical College; and the state.
Residents will pay different amounts depending on the school district in which they reside.
Whitnall residents will pay $22.91 per $1,000 of assessed property value, a decrease from $27.53 a year ago, while Greenfield School District residents will pay $23.86, down from $28.17.
A small number of residents reside in the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District. They will pay $21.58 per $1,000 of assessed property value, down from $27.09.
The decline in tax rates doesn't mean that actual tax bills are dropping, however, as the rate decrease comes after a citywide revaluation. The assessed value of Greenfield went up more than 25 percent, from $2.4 billion to $3.2 billion, city Finance Director Milt Vandermeuse said.
The school districts' property tax levies went up 5.9 percent at West Allis-West Milwaukee, 5.5 percent at Whitnall and 11.2 percent in Greenfield. The city property tax levy rose 3.7 percent.
Property owners can look up their tax bills on the city's Web site at www.ci.greenfield.wi.us.
Full payment or the first of three installments is due Jan. 31. Payments can be mailed to City of Greenfield, P.O. Box 20739, Greenfield, WI, 53220-0739, or dropped off at a deposit box at the south entrance of City Hall, 7325 W. Forest Home Ave.
Through Dec. 31, two banks will collect property tax payments: Tri-City National Bank, 4200 S. 76th St., and M&I Bank, 7600 W. Layton Ave.
For more payment information, visit the city's Web site.
- Mark Schaaf
Comparing property taxes
2009 tax rate
(per $1,000 ofassessed value)
2008 tax rate
(per $1,000 ofassessed value)
|Greenfield School District||$10.90||$12.34||-11.7%|
|Whitnall School District||$9.95||$11.70||-15.0%|
|WA-WM School District||$8.62||$11.26||-23.4%|
|City of Greenfield||$6.91||$8.35||-17.2%|
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield man charged with sexual assault of a child in Tosa
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 19, 2015 issue
- Greenfield's Naked Furniture to close April 30
- Amphitheater offered for Konkel Park in Greenfield
- Greenfield Plan Commission clears Chapman project, Meijer for hearings
- Greenfield Plan Commission mixed on idea of Goodwill opening on S. 76th St.
- Stories concerning time to tick at Inspiration Studios
- Greenfield School district to offer tax credits to seniors who work for district
- Sessions offered to public on Whitnall School District referendum questions