The last place you'd expect to find chickens roaming freely is outside a sandwich shop that serves chicken sandwiches.
According to the Greenfield police report:
That was the case Sept. 10, when a caller reported three chickens were running through the parking lot at Subway on 60th Street and Layton Avenue at about 4:30 a.m.
Police found four chickens there, apparent escapees from a yard in the 4700 block of South 60th Street.
The owner was contacted but wasn't too interested in re-cooping his chickens at that hour. But police were able to corral the chickens with the assistance of Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission.
Police advised the city health department about the code violation, and the owner was given a copy of the city ordinance prohibiting chickens.
- Greenfield to open amphitheater with proud marches, dancing, bands
- Greenfield Police blotter: June 30, 2016
- Man, 21, charged in fatal accident on 76th Street in Greenfield
- Video: Greenfield going full speed to become its own internet provider (1)
- Road construction to loom large in Greenfield's Fourth of July bash
- Early morning fire destroys garage in Greenfield, spreads to house
- A new Layton Avenue Baptist Church is rising in Greenfield through skill and faith
- Greenfield Police reports: June 16, 2016
- Fire damages garage of Greenfield home
- Charcoal grill tips over, causes fire at Greenfield home (1)