The last place you'd expect to find chickens roaming freely is outside a sandwich shop that serves chicken sandwiches.
According to the Greenfield police report:
That was the case Sept. 10, when a caller reported three chickens were running through the parking lot at Subway on 60th Street and Layton Avenue at about 4:30 a.m.
Police found four chickens there, apparent escapees from a yard in the 4700 block of South 60th Street.
The owner was contacted but wasn't too interested in re-cooping his chickens at that hour. But police were able to corral the chickens with the assistance of Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission.
Police advised the city health department about the code violation, and the owner was given a copy of the city ordinance prohibiting chickens.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- National Night Out to be celebrated in Greenfield on Aug. 5
- No more waiting lists for child care at Greenfield schools
- Greenfield schools strive to meet tougher nutrition requirements
- Whitnall-rooted Saturday Detention has schooled itself musically
- Greenfield Common Council allows 33 homes to not hook up to city water
- Not all are happy with Greenfield's plan to build a network of sidewalks
- mw_go_police report_0724
- Vehicle stolen in Franklin used in Greenfield carjacking
- Finale on 4th was not so grand