The last place you'd expect to find chickens roaming freely is outside a sandwich shop that serves chicken sandwiches.
According to the Greenfield police report:
That was the case Sept. 10, when a caller reported three chickens were running through the parking lot at Subway on 60th Street and Layton Avenue at about 4:30 a.m.
Police found four chickens there, apparent escapees from a yard in the 4700 block of South 60th Street.
The owner was contacted but wasn't too interested in re-cooping his chickens at that hour. But police were able to corral the chickens with the assistance of Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission.
Police advised the city health department about the code violation, and the owner was given a copy of the city ordinance prohibiting chickens.
- Whitnall gets new school district superintendent
- Crash kills Milwaukee man in Greenfield
- Greenfield Police Blotter: April 28, 2016
- Parties in the sky coming to House of Harley in Greenfield
- Whitnall names Lisa Olson superintendent of schools
- Severe weather seminar scheduled in Greenfield
- Greenfield Police Blotter: April 21, 2016
- Greenfield News and Notes: April 21
- 84 South retail, multifamily development along Layton Avenue in Greenfield could add $115 million to tax base (3)
- Campus news: April 14, 2016