The last place you'd expect to find chickens roaming freely is outside a sandwich shop that serves chicken sandwiches.
According to the Greenfield police report:
That was the case Sept. 10, when a caller reported three chickens were running through the parking lot at Subway on 60th Street and Layton Avenue at about 4:30 a.m.
Police found four chickens there, apparent escapees from a yard in the 4700 block of South 60th Street.
The owner was contacted but wasn't too interested in re-cooping his chickens at that hour. But police were able to corral the chickens with the assistance of Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission.
Police advised the city health department about the code violation, and the owner was given a copy of the city ordinance prohibiting chickens.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Layton Avenue Baptist Church in Greenfield eyes location up the block
- Greenfield starts review of proposed 2016 city budget
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Greenfield School Board to fill vacancy by appointment
- Little Free Library in Greenfield gift of love — twice
- Greenfield Police blotter
- Amphitheater plan in Greenfield moves along with help of impact fees
- Attendant to oversee Greenfield solid waste drop-off site (2)
- Ditch won't stop $150 million proposed commercial, residential project in Greenfield
- Partnership buys Barnes & Noble Center in Greenfield