When the dust clears on the Greenfield High School construction project, fans attending events at the football field can anticipate a less crowded concession stand.
The School District plans to add a second floor to a new utility building, which voters ratified as part of last April's high school renovation referendum. On that floor - level with the football field behind the north end zone - will be a concession stand that will be larger than an existing cramped facility.
Adding the roughly 2,800-square-foot floor will cost about $215,000 out of the district's operating budget. But doing it now, rather than waiting until the utility building is complete, will save the district $30,000, Superintendent Conrad Farner said.
The district, which Farner said will meet with staff members and the Athletic Booster Club to formulate plans on what the space will look like, has long heard complaints about how the existing concession stand is inadequate and crowded. The new stand will address past concerns.
The concession stand is an add-on to a facility school officials wanted to maximize storage space at the high school. It's needed because the district is losing similar space at the current Chapman Avenue administrative offices, which the district will close and relocate to new administrative facilities at the high school.
The school will also no longer use portable bathrooms at the field. Fans will instead use restrooms inside the high school addition when it is complete.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Additional sessions on $29.4 million Whitnall school referendum set
- In brief: Child enticement, wrong way driver
- Greenfield man charged with sexual assault of a child in Tosa
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 19, 2015 issue
- Greenfield's Naked Furniture to close April 30
- Amphitheater offered for Konkel Park in Greenfield
- Greenfield Plan Commission clears Chapman project, Meijer for hearings
- Greenfield Plan Commission mixed on idea of Goodwill opening on S. 76th St.
- Stories concerning time to tick at Inspiration Studios