Greenfield — The popular Whitnall Back to School Block Party will be back for a fifth year, and organizers are looking for volunteers and sponsors to help make this year's annual effort the best yet.
The block party will be held from noon to 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 13, on 116th Street between Whitnall's high and middle schools. The block party's outdoor, festival-like atmosphere, including musical entertainment, food and games, attracts thousands of students, parents, alumni and community members.
Though not intended to make money, any surplus funds from the event are donated to Whitnall's fine arts programs. Over the last three years, nearly $15,000 has been used to buy keyboards and music stands for elementary musicians, cello racks for the orchestra, technology for the art department and other fine arts purchases.
In addition, excess funds allowed the district to bring back an art gallery evening, highlighting student work.
The Block Party, which began as a 50th anniversary celebration for the district in 2010, is free.
Block Party organizers need event sponsors and volunteers. Various levels of sponsorships are available, from main event sponsors to the donation of raffle prizes. Sponsorship packages come with various levels of public recognition.
Volunteers are needed to help set up and break down the party, sell raffle tickets, manage games and work at other stations.
For more information about volunteering or becoming an event sponsor, email Mike Seavert at email@example.com or Cheryl Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Man, 21, charged in fatal accident on 76th Street in Greenfield
- Video: Greenfield going full speed to become its own internet provider
- Road construction to loom large in Greenfield's Fourth of July bash
- Early morning fire destroys garage in Greenfield, spreads to house
- A new Layton Avenue Baptist Church is rising in Greenfield through skill and faith
- Greenfield Police reports: June 16, 2016
- Fire damages garage of Greenfield home
- Charcoal grill tips over, causes fire at Greenfield home (1)
- Thieves hit Greenfield liquor store twice in a week, injure clerk
- Greenfield Police report: June 9, 2016