As of Wednesday morning, fire officials were still determining the cause of an early morning fire that broke out in a garage and spread to a home at 5305 S. 28th St., Greenfield.
A call came in at 2:23 a.m. Wednesday, April 23, and by 2:50 a.m. the fire was under control. The garage containing a motorcycle was lost but the home was saved. Intense heat damaged cars parked in the driveway, melting the front end of the car closest to the garage.
Damage is estimated at roughly $100,000. The owner said he was awakened by loud houses that could have been explosions coming from the garage area.
The family of four got out safely. Greenfield firefighters rescued two cats and a bunny.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield School Board nixes funding to explore charter school idea
- Layton Avenue entrance to Greenfield High School among road proposals
- Greenfield police report: Nov. 20, 2014 issue
- Whitnall School District makes AP honor roll
- Greenfield council approves 2015 budget after no one speaks at hearing
- Video: Verlo stack of 18 mattresses declared a world record by Guinness
- Verlo customers can use beacon iPad to find products
- Low registrations cause drug, alcohol program postponement at Whitnall
- Charity maintains 'legend' of former Whitnall student
- Greenfield crosses big Loomis threshold with chosen developer