Greenfield — The city's first farmers market was off to a hot start when it opened two Sundays ago with a ribbon-cutting ceremony in 90-degree heat.
But the crowd was enthusiastic and ready to bring home their first purchases from a farmers market in their own hometown.
"Many vendors ran out of product around noon. They were ecstatic," said Darren Rausch, the Greenfield Health Department director who also is taking the lead in organizing the market being held at Konkel Park, 5151 W. Layton Ave. The market opened June 23 and will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays through Oct. 27.
Last Sunday, the temperatures were much more moderate and the crowds were steady.
"The first two weeks were outstanding," Rausch said. "Much better than we ever imagined."
More sellers were added from the first Sunday to the second. They offer honey, produce, bakery, meat and organic eggs. And still more potential vendors stopped by Sunday inquiring about space in the market, Rausch said.
One produce seller and two food sellers decided on the spot to join the mix.
Patrons are welcome to leave feedback about the market, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive, Rausch said.
And things will only get better as the growing season progresses and a greater variety of produce is offered, he said.
Even though it was almost July, the market has still just had early-season produce, he said, because the growing season is two or three weeks behind.
In July, patrons will probably see traditionally June crops, he predicted.
The sellers are listed on the market's website, which can be accessed from the city's homepage, GreenfieldWi.us.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
If you Go
WHAT: Greenfield Farmers Market
WHERE: Konkel Park, 5151 W. Layton Ave.
WHEN: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays through Oct. 27
ONLINE: GreenfieldWi.us, click on the "Farmers Market" link
- Cinema going down, shopping strip, more Greenfield Highlands may go up
- The Ridge Church in Greenfield offers church in your jammies
- Greenfield Police blotter: May 5, 2016
- Whitnall gets new school district superintendent
- Crash kills Milwaukee man in Greenfield
- Greenfield Police Blotter: April 28, 2016
- Parties in the sky coming to House of Harley in Greenfield
- Whitnall names Lisa Olson superintendent of schools
- Severe weather seminar scheduled in Greenfield
- Greenfield Police Blotter: April 21, 2016