Greenfield police are seeking a heavy-set man who has been observed stealing sandwiches and pizzas, mostly from area gas stations between Feb. 11 and March 13.
In the first three of four cases, the thefts occurred around lunchtime, and the suspect was seen driving off in a white Pontiac Grand Prix.
The man was first observed shoplifting carryout food items at Citgo, 8333 W. Layton Ave., at about 1:10 p.m. Feb. 11. The unidentified man, described as white, 5 feet 7 inches tall, in his 40s with dark hair, fled the station.
Police tied a second incident to the same suspect when an employee at Speedway, 6000 W. Layton Ave., reported that a heavy-set man attempted to shoplift several food items at noon March 13. The suspect ended up leaving the items behind and fled the lot.
About 15 minutes later police received a report likely involving the same suspect who had just shoplifted frozen pizza, soda and other food items at Speedway on 60th Street and Layton Avenue.
The same man was a suspect in a fourth incident later that day. A cashier at Sendik's, 7901 W. Layton Ave., told police a heavier-set man put a sandwich from the hot bar into a container and walked out of the store at 4:30 p.m.
The license plate number of the vehicle was obtained by employees and video surveillance. However, a search revealed the plates were canceled and might be stolen.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police called when man yells at neighbor about his 'contaminated' water
- Greenfield fire destroys garage, caused about $100,000 in damage
- Two suspects sought in Greenfield gas station burglary
- Police report: April 22
- Alternative sought to road work borrowing
- Man charged with ninth drunken driving offense after road rage incident
- Murals created from colorful bottle caps at Edgerton Elementary
- 'Mount Stallis' rises in West Allis