Greenfield - A proposed 2013 city budget that calls for a 1.98 percent property tax levy increase will start moving through the Common Council review process.
Mayor Michael Neitzke unveiled his proposed 2013 budget last week before a special meeting of the Finance and Human Resources Committee.
The committee had planned to start discussing the proposed budget Wednesday. A public hearing is anticipated for Nov. 20, with Common Council approval that same night.
The total proposed budget is $43,465,330, nearly 14 percent higher than the $38,144,160 budget for 2012. The increase is due mainly to road projects, the mayor told the committee.
The proposed levy is $21,834,243 which is $424,917 higher than this year's levy, for a proposed 1.98 percent increase.
Of the nearly $43.5 million proposed budget for all spending, $24.4 million would be for the general fund, considered the city's operating budget.
That is proposed to rise 2.69 percent to a total of $24,404,556, or $639,422 more than the 2012 spending plan for operations.
State aid will be up 3.24 percent bringing $104,000 more into the city's coffers. But debt service will be up nearly three times that at $280,983 for a 9.8 percent hike. Total debt service will be $3,152,096.
Neitzke was not immediately available for comment.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Major Layton Avenue development in Greenfield rolls forward (1)
- The project SHOW has chosen to sample Greenfield as part of its statewide survey that has been going
- Whitnall School Board chooses facilities advisory committee
- Construction starts for church, community center in Greenfield
- Police release ID of man killed in gunfire
- Greenfield officer involved in shooting
- Greenfield puts restaurant, grocery health inspections online
- New Whitnall Middle School principal is familiar face
- Public being asked about proposed Highway 100 changes in Greenfield
- Greenfield police investigating armed robbery in parking lot