Greenfield - The Partners of Greenfield Park and Recreation, which stepped into the breach last year to make sure the city could continue its traditional Fourth of July celebration, has established itself with a bang.
The nonprofit group not only secured the return of the University of Wisconsin Marching Band but landed a rare appearance by mascot Bucky Badger. Greenfield will have the only parade with both, parade committee chairman Dennis Ervin said.
Oddly enough, it was harder to get Bucky than the band, he said.
"They do not allow his appearance without strong, strong reason and extreme effort," he said.
Organizers promise this will be the best Fourth of July celebration in memory.
It will run from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. at Konkel Park. After the 12:15 p.m. parade, the fun an "Are You Smarter than a Fifth-Grader" Contest, the Salsabrosa Dance Company and Martial Arts America demonstrations and lessons, Bakers Square Restaurant Pie Eating Contest, music by DJ Bill Code and the headline band Speakeasy.
Lots of food and beverages will be available.
A fireworks show sponsored by the city of Greenfield will top off the day.
This year the business community is truly rallying to support the celebration, Ervin said, but donations are still needed. For information, call Jeannette Lucero, celebration organizer at (414) 282-0141 or Ervin, (262) 786.7196.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis police report: May 28, 2015 issue
- Whitnall stages award-winning theater production
- Annual roadwork is full steam ahead in Greenfield and West Allis
- Greenfield police report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Veteran's tribute slated for Arlington Park
- Four days of fun, music, food coming to JansenFest in Greenfield (1)
- 30-unit facility for elderly gets nod from Greenfield Plan Commission
- Greenfield to hold public hearing June 16 on proposed Goodwill store (2)
- Greenfield police report: May 14, 2015 issue
- West Allis police report: May 14, 2015 issue