A woman who told police that her husband was an abusive philanderer was charged Friday with shooting him to death in the living room of the couple's Greenfield home.
Regina Rath, 46, is charged with first-degree reckless homicide, use of a dangerous weapon. If convicted, she faces up to 65 years in prison.
According to a criminal complaint, the woman told police her 46-year-old husband, Vincent Rath, was berating her Wednesday afternoon as she was packing to leave him. She admitted she shot him.
The complaint quotes her telling a detective: "I shot Vince with the gun, I did not mean to kill him, but I did."
Police found the man's body seated in a chair in the couple's home in the 4500 W. Morgan Ave. He had been shot once in the chest.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall launches districtwide iPad initiative
- Meijer gets early nod of approval in Greenfield
- Greenfield police note
- Greenfield police report 0804 to 0810
- Thrift group buys new space; former Greenfield Walmart now home to St. Vincent de Paul Society
- Video: Whitnall preparing to distribute nearly 1,400 iPads across district
- Meijer goes forward with Mount Carmel site in Greenfield
- Greenfield police report: August 7, 2014
- Whitnall Back to School Block Party looking for sponsors, volunteers
- Greenfield schools emphasize writing