A woman who told police that her husband was an abusive philanderer was charged Friday with shooting him to death in the living room of the couple's Greenfield home.
Regina Rath, 46, is charged with first-degree reckless homicide, use of a dangerous weapon. If convicted, she faces up to 65 years in prison.
According to a criminal complaint, the woman told police her 46-year-old husband, Vincent Rath, was berating her Wednesday afternoon as she was packing to leave him. She admitted she shot him.
The complaint quotes her telling a detective: "I shot Vince with the gun, I did not mean to kill him, but I did."
Police found the man's body seated in a chair in the couple's home in the 4500 W. Morgan Ave. He had been shot once in the chest.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police called when man urinates himself while sleeping in movie theater
- Al-Huda mosque's parking lot in Greenfield under scrutiny; neighbors do not want it to expand
- Greenfield lets gravel parking lot for mosque stay for now
- New investment pleases Greenfield officials; remodeled auto and mattress shops approved by city
- Greenfield police report: September 11, 2014
- Drainage might sink overflow mosque parking in Greenfield
- Time constraints delay Greenfield consideration of Meijers super store
- Whitnall hosts another block party
- Greenfield police report: September 4, 2014
- Greenfield School Board approves $23 million tax levy