Valentine's Day dinner could be at El Beso
Restaurant replacing Champps expected to open February
Greenfield — The new El Beso restaurant, the Mexican restaurant under construction at the former Champps Americana site, is on track to open around Valentine's Day, according to a representative of the owner.
Construction continues along the busy 76th Street corridor and has stayed pretty much on schedule, said Agi Nikolau, speaking on behalf of the Bouraxis family.
The family owns El Beso and a popular Mexican eatery, El Fuego, on Milwaukee's south side. While they will share some similarities, the Greenfield restaurant will be unique in its own right and offer its own authentic Mexican dishes, Nikolau said.
It will be a while longer before food is served, however, because the owners want to ensure a smooth opening.
Much of the construction work inside and outside is done, but the Bouraxis family takes more time than most restaurants to open because they want everything to be perfect and avoid the typical glitches, Nikolau said.
"They don't want to open and have two to three weeks of disappointment," Nikolau said.
Greenfield city officials hope El Beso, 5030 S. 74th St., will be as warmly received as El Fuego. If the interest level pre-opening is any indication, that could very well be the case.
Nikolau said the feedback has been "tremendous" so far, with many people dropping by the construction site and asking when El Beso will open.
"It's one of the positive things, amidst the bad economy, that is happening in the city of Greenfield," Nikolau said.
Mayor Michael Neitzke previously said he was excited to see El Beso come into the city.
"The new owner has a history of doing restaurants first rate," he said earlier this year, after Champps announced plans to close. "It's exciting that he chose Greenfield."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield man charged with sexual assault of a child in Tosa
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 19, 2015 issue
- Greenfield's Naked Furniture to close April 30
- Amphitheater offered for Konkel Park in Greenfield
- Greenfield Plan Commission clears Chapman project, Meijer for hearings
- Greenfield Plan Commission mixed on idea of Goodwill opening on S. 76th St.
- Stories concerning time to tick at Inspiration Studios
- Greenfield School district to offer tax credits to seniors who work for district
- Sessions offered to public on Whitnall School District referendum questions