Valentine's Day dinner could be at El Beso
Restaurant replacing Champps expected to open February
Greenfield — The new El Beso restaurant, the Mexican restaurant under construction at the former Champps Americana site, is on track to open around Valentine's Day, according to a representative of the owner.
Construction continues along the busy 76th Street corridor and has stayed pretty much on schedule, said Agi Nikolau, speaking on behalf of the Bouraxis family.
The family owns El Beso and a popular Mexican eatery, El Fuego, on Milwaukee's south side. While they will share some similarities, the Greenfield restaurant will be unique in its own right and offer its own authentic Mexican dishes, Nikolau said.
It will be a while longer before food is served, however, because the owners want to ensure a smooth opening.
Much of the construction work inside and outside is done, but the Bouraxis family takes more time than most restaurants to open because they want everything to be perfect and avoid the typical glitches, Nikolau said.
"They don't want to open and have two to three weeks of disappointment," Nikolau said.
Greenfield city officials hope El Beso, 5030 S. 74th St., will be as warmly received as El Fuego. If the interest level pre-opening is any indication, that could very well be the case.
Nikolau said the feedback has been "tremendous" so far, with many people dropping by the construction site and asking when El Beso will open.
"It's one of the positive things, amidst the bad economy, that is happening in the city of Greenfield," Nikolau said.
Mayor Michael Neitzke previously said he was excited to see El Beso come into the city.
"The new owner has a history of doing restaurants first rate," he said earlier this year, after Champps announced plans to close. "It's exciting that he chose Greenfield."
- Greenfield unveils inaugural season for new Konkel Park amphitheater
- Greenfield to sell passes for residents not allowed to use dropoff
- Bluemel's Garden & Landscape Center in Greenfield expands with on-site coffee garden
- Greenfield Police blotter: July 21
- St. John the Evangelist Parish to host 49th annual Family Festival (1)
- Greenfield chief meets with President's top advisers in West Wing (1)
- Greenfield Police blotter: July 14, 2016
- Cannon-lover fires eight-gun salute down Greenfield street for Fourth
- Greenfield neighbors roaring about House of Harley's thunder
- Gun, ammunition sales in Greenfield might soon require public hearings