Greenfield — The Common Council has approved plans for a new Pick 'n Save grocery store at 4279 S. 76th St.
The 81,700-square-foot store will be smaller than the roughly 90,000-square-foot Pick 'n Save across the street. That was done mainly for efficiency purposes, city officials said of the plans approved Tuesday.
Strip mall's end
The future Pick 'n Save will be built where a strip mall, in which the main tenant was a long-since-shuttered Sentry Foods, now stands. That strip mall will be torn down, as will two neighboring restaurants - Popeye's and Ponderosa.
The new owners of the strip mall are assisting the other existing tenants, Sun's Family Dry Cleaners and Castillo's Family Restaurant, to relocate. The Blockbuster on that site, which is separate from the strip mall, will stay.
No plans for old site
The old Pick 'n Save, meanwhile, will close when the new one opens next year. The store, 4200 S. 76th St., is located in Spring Mall across the street.
No plans on the future of that old store, part of the Spring Mall, have yet come forward. Other tenants of Spring Mall include T.J. Maxx and Walgreens.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenfield man charged with sexual assault of a child in Tosa
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: Feb. 19, 2015 issue
- Greenfield's Naked Furniture to close April 30
- Amphitheater offered for Konkel Park in Greenfield
- Greenfield Plan Commission clears Chapman project, Meijer for hearings
- Greenfield Plan Commission mixed on idea of Goodwill opening on S. 76th St.
- Stories concerning time to tick at Inspiration Studios
- Greenfield School district to offer tax credits to seniors who work for district
- Sessions offered to public on Whitnall School District referendum questions