Greenfield — The Common Council has approved plans for a new Pick 'n Save grocery store at 4279 S. 76th St.
The 81,700-square-foot store will be smaller than the roughly 90,000-square-foot Pick 'n Save across the street. That was done mainly for efficiency purposes, city officials said of the plans approved Tuesday.
Strip mall's end
The future Pick 'n Save will be built where a strip mall, in which the main tenant was a long-since-shuttered Sentry Foods, now stands. That strip mall will be torn down, as will two neighboring restaurants - Popeye's and Ponderosa.
The new owners of the strip mall are assisting the other existing tenants, Sun's Family Dry Cleaners and Castillo's Family Restaurant, to relocate. The Blockbuster on that site, which is separate from the strip mall, will stay.
No plans for old site
The old Pick 'n Save, meanwhile, will close when the new one opens next year. The store, 4200 S. 76th St., is located in Spring Mall across the street.
No plans on the future of that old store, part of the Spring Mall, have yet come forward. Other tenants of Spring Mall include T.J. Maxx and Walgreens.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- W.A and Greenfield offer summer fun times
- Whitnall School District facilities panel to be 7 to 13 members
- Antiques mall could open in former Greenfield News & Hobby location (1)
- Glendale tennis courts to be transformed into futsal courts
- Pepper spray used at Greenfield grocery store (2)
- Town of Brookfield touts commercial development at annual meeting
- Greenfield Plan Commission cool to apartments amid homes, two-families
- West Allis police report: April 30, 2015 issue
- Greenfield police report: April 30, 2015 issue
- Greenfield Common Council hears concerns at Chapman proposal hearing