• Amber Voss of West Allis is one of 137 students participating in the Central College Abroad program during the fall 2009 semester. She will be studying in Vienna, Austria. She is a graduate of Milwaukee School of Language and the daughter of Greg and Diane Voss of West Allis.
• Nathan Gruber, a graduate of Greenfield High School, has been awarded a $1,500 scholarship from the AT&T Foundation. Scholarships are awarded in a competitive selection process to children of AT&T employees. Nathan is studying graphic design at Milwaukee Area Technical College.
• Thomas Jazwiecki and Amanda Strom, both of Greenfield, and Aanal Parikh and Clayton Wenger, both of West Allis, all graduated from Marquette University at the end of the summer 2009 semester.
• Joel Phinney of West Allis received the George Bullis Scholarship. The renewable scholarship is awarded to math majors and students in allied fields with preference given to merit scholarship finalists. Joel is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville majoring in software engineering. He is a 2007 graduate of West Allis Central High School and the son of Chris Phinney of West Allis and Marvin Phinney of Milwaukee.
• Danielle Masset of West Allis has been awarded the Transfer Scholarship for $4,000 to Mount Mary College for the 2009-10 school year. The Transfer Scholarship is a renewable award presented to students who have demonstrated a high level of school, community involvement, service, leadership or success outside of the classroom. Danielle is a 2008 graduate of West Allis Central High School.
• The following Greenfield students won first place in their respective divisions in the 2009 Wisconsin Association of School Boards Write and Illustrate Your Own Book Contest: Parth Amrute of Maple Grove Elementary School, "Jack's Egg Search," kindergarten and first-grade category; Yash Banal of Elm Dale Elementary School, "My Big Sister Earth," second- and third-grade category; Shawn Mallon of Glenwood Elementary School, "My Life in the Great Depression," fourth- and fifth-grade category; Liam Granlund and Hernan Molina, both of Maple Grove Elementary School, "Legoman," group submissions fourth- and fifth-grade category; Kerri Hebert and Abbie Ballweg, both of Greenfield Middle School, "The Legend of Earth," group submissions sixth- through eighth-grade category. Eleven other Greenfield students won second- or third-place or received honorable mention in the statewide contest. Winning books will be displayed at the annual State Education Convention in Milwaukee Jan. 20-22.
• Judy Janczak of Greenfield has been named to the Institute of Management Accountants Greater Milwaukee Chapter 2009-10 Board. She is serving as secretary.
• Karima Taalbi, a graduate of Nathan Hale High School, recently competed in the 2010 Miss Wisconsin USA and Miss Wisconsin Teen USA held on Sept. 19 and 20 in Middleton. She was named Miss Congeniality by the other participants. She also earned the highest score for a non-finalist in the Evening Gown competition.
• U.S. Air National Guard Airman 1st Class Britney N. Sandino graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio. Britney earned distinction as an honor graduate of the course. She is the daughter of Araceli Sandino of Greenfield and a 2004 graduate of Greenfield High School.
Send Celebrations submissions to Celebrations/NOW Newspapers, 1741 Dolphin Drive, Suite A, Waukesha, 53186; or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Celebrations: June 5, 2014
- Celebrations: May 29
- Celebrations: April 24
- Celebrations: April 1
- Celebrations: March 27
- Celebrations: March 13
- Celebrations: Feb. 20
- Celebrations: Jan. 2
- Celebrations: Nov. 14
- Celebrations: Oct. 14
- Celebrations: Sept. 12
- Celebrations: Sept. 5
- Celebrations: Aug. 22
- Celebrations: Aug. 1
- Celebrations: July 18
- Celebrations: July 11
- Celebrations: June 27
- Celebrations: June 20