I live in Greenfield with my husband and cat. I work full time. Frugality and simplicity have been a part of my life long before they became popular and it has made life a lot less stressful. I love volunteering, home improvement/decorating, crafting and gardening.
It seems that far too often, we hear about an apartment or condo (or some type of multi unit building) that goes up in flames because someone thought it was intelligent to grill (whether it be a gas or a charcoal grill) on a porch or a patio. In our condo association, our BY-LAWS state no grilling on patios or porches and you must grill at least 10 feet away from a garage door. Most people in our complex abide by these guidelines/rules. I have never seen anyone grill on their patio or porch. I have, however, seen one of our "Know It All" neighbors grill right next to his garage door and under the overhang and between his two parked cars. I guess he doesn't have to follow anyone's rules (other incidents prove this fact). Not only do people like this risk burning down their own unit and garage, they also risk doing the same to the rest of the building. I certainly don't want MY unit burned up because of someone else's stupidity. My husband and I are not the only ones concerned about this wonderful neighbor. He has been "told" in the past several times to move the grill away from the building. Ah, but he's too smart for that - why would he consider other people's property! I feel so sorry for other people who have been in the unfortunate circumstances to lose their home and belongings and , in some cases, human and pet's lives. I would hope that the people responsible for this stupidity would be fined, sued or whatever as a result of their negligence.
As with all laws, ordinances, by-laws, guidelines, rules, regulations, etc. there are people who just don't think they apply to them - perhaps because they are so very "special". That's why drunk drivers kill, texting causes accidents, shoplifters shoplift and cause good citizens to pay higher prices as a result, stereos blast and keep neighbors awake, and the list goes on and on. And, unfortunately, always will.